Friday, September 12, 2008

Black Gold

As I was slipping off to sleep last night I had the flash of an idea for a bracelet,
which I vaguely remembered when I woke up this morning. With morning coffee in hand I sketched what I could remember and added some new ideas, then started work. Using Silver Black, I blackened lengths of sterling silver chain and headpins, then searched through my gemstones to find the perfect stones, brilliant Madeira citrine nuggets. Added to this, 18kt gold beads and clasp, which looked fabulous against the blackened silver!

I started at 9am with what seemed like such a simple design...until I started! It took several taking aparts and starting overs before I had what I had envisioned, and it wasn't finished until 5:30pm. The whole day! Luckily I cleaned the house thoroughly yesterday so that I wouldn't have to do anything but stay in my studio all day!

The result is very different from anything I've done before, but I love the way it turned out. I took a hurried pic of it even though we've had a dark and rainy day with very little natural light; so it's a very poor photo but gives some idea of the finished piece:



Ah well, very poor photo indeed! The blob of gold at the front is actually a very lovely 18k "S" clasp - LOL ...I'll try for a better pic tomorrow if the rain lets up!

...And so the Black Gold series is born, touched off by wearing a black sweater that day which looked lovely against the gold rings I had on! :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, man, Mardi, this is beautiful! I would have never thought about that color combo. Just divine!

i think it is a great piece for fall.

have a wonderful weekend.

MarDi said...

Thank you, Misti! It does make me think of fall too. :)

Unknown said...

It's your old knitting friend in Florida! Hope this finds you well. I came back to vist your blog because I remembered the darling baby bonnet you made I was hoping you had it posted on your blog.(I'm going to be a Nana in January) My goodness, you've come a long way, your pieces are beautiful. I'll be back to browse all when I have more time!
All the best!