Thursday, April 3, 2008

Poor Neglected Blog!

I can't believe that it's been so long since my last post ~ it doesn't seem like it's been long at all, but then time flies when you're suddenly overwhelmed with too much to do and too little time to do them in!

I finally dug in my heels and completed my website, Mardi Studio, which I had begun working on ages ago and then procrastinated so long over because I was having such a horrid time with the PHP scripted shopping cart system. It was many hours of poring over the umpteen dozens of files in the script to locate bugs and come up with solutions for them, and then several more hours of tweaking layout issues...but it's done! I have many new designs to stock it with, as well as my Etsy shop, but then there's that time issue again. :D ...Just as I completed the site, I had revamps to make on one of my client's websites as well as designing promotional brochures for them that they wanted the day before they requested them! Somewhere along the way I also made time to design a bracelet for a bridal shower gift. I've made several custom variations of this simple bracelet for clients; this one is amethyst (her birthstone) and topaz (his birthstone), with a very pretty ametrine focal to tie both colors together:


My poor husband came home from a business trip last Thursday and promptly became ill within 48 hours, no doubt from the recycled air on one of his flights. He's had to stay home most of this week (until today), so add to the above list of to-do stuff the nursing back to health of a very unhappy Frenchman! Mon Dieu!

And speaking of Frenchmen (and thus, France), we're planning a trip there this coming fall, and along with the rounds of visits to family and friends I'm planning on visiting as many bead shops near his village, and in Paris, as I can fit in! Something I've never done, as I wasn't designing jewelry the last time we went. :) I'm so looking forward to it!

Okay, lunch at my pc is over and it's back to the grindstone...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I checked out your website. You did a really great job. I love it.

Your bracelet that you made is fantastic. I love the combo of colors and what a net idea to combine the colors of the bride and groom.

I am really jealous that you get to got to France! I have always wanted to got to France. But, for a Texas girl, who has never been to our state capitol, I just do not see me ever being lucky enough to go to France.

Take care. I love your blog, but mostly I love your jewelry.

brandianndesigns said...

i'd love some help setting up a shopping cart for my website.

brandianndesigns said...

don't forget to add your main menu (bracelets, earrings, etc) to each main page - so when i'm on your bracelet page i can get back to the other stuff without pushing the "back" button

MarDi said...

Brandi, I used a php-scripted shopping cart system. Works great now but took hours of tweaking on my part to get it that way, the hazards of working with freebie scripts! If you're interested in that particular script, the link to the people who wrote it is at the bottom of each page. With this one, some PHP coding experience is a must for being able to include PayPal compatibility, for example. :)

The main menu is added through the admin panel and not currently allowing me to add it to each page...something more to work on when I have the time (and patience) to go in and rewrite the script here and there to make it work. In the meantime, must make do with clicking on the "the collection" link to the main page at the top of each photo.

If you decide to use a shopping cart script and need any help along the way I'd be happy to help!