Saturday, February 23, 2008

Feeling Accomplished

Today was the day to get out the micro torch and fire it up! So easy, and much faster than I imagined. Other than a few panic-stricken seconds when I clumsily hit the torch with my arm and knocked it over, with it set on continuous flame no less, it was such a simple process. And nobody was burned! :D

In less than an hour, counting the time taken to reread the operating instructions and filling the torch with butane, I was the proud creator of 400 headpins: 200 24ga fine silver, and 200 26ga fine silver. The best thing, other than the tons of money saved by making my own, is the control over the size of the ball end. I prefer the ball end to be very small, and most often the ones I bought from others were much larger than I wished them to be. Determining the length of each depending on the size of the beads to be used is another plus. And having a ready supply on hand at any given time? Why didn't I do this sooner!

Not a very good photo, but here's some from my first bunch:



After that triumph the mail carrier arrived with three packages that I'd been waiting anxiously for; an order of my fave earwires from Meilan of Jewelry For All Ages, several feet of solid 18k gold wire, and a wonderful package from the lovely Deb of Crysallis Creations! A strand of the most beautiful golden rutilated quartz rondelles, a strand of sparkling, fiery rainbow moonstone, a gorgeous brio of ametrine (to replace one that I broke a few weeks ago :(...several loose rondelles of perfect swiss blue topaz, and a few strands of my favorite silver/gray freshwater pearls! Deb is not only an amazing jewelry designer, her Etsy supply shop has the yummiest strands of gemstones and pearls.



So now I'm off to work on the neverending bracelet...well it does have an end, two in fact, but the length of time it's taking to put it together is forever! But well worth it, I hope, when it's a fait accompli. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww Thank you Marilynn!!! XOXO I am so glad that you've been happy with your beads... :)

brandianndesigns said...

man, i can't wait to get a torch! i was thinking a creme brulee torch. :) someone told me that would be great for headpins.

MarDi said...

I'm sure a creme brulée torch would work quite well!

Come to think of it, some creme brulée would be wonderful too! ;)

Contrariwise said...

Thanks for posting a link to your article in my blog. That's a great post.

(BTW, I heard the creme brulee torch doesn't work very well with sterling, especially the thicker gauges. It doesn't get hot enough.)

MarDi said...

Thank you Anne... I know next to nothing about torches, and hopefully Brandi Ann will note your comment before she invests in a creme brulée one!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!